Imagine a world where over 500 spreadsheets are used to manage over 10,000 SKUs, in addition to processing the return and refurbishment of DISH cable receiver boxes for a customer base of over 13 million. It would be a gigantic headache—and it was the reality for DISH Network. But not anymore. Today, with the help of the Anaplan platform’s connected supply chain capabilities, DISH’s supply chain planners are free to use their time and talents for higher-value work. Before: the pain of inefficient parts planning When a DISH customer wants to upgrade or cancel their service, they are required to return their receiver to DISH headquarters in Denver. It used to be a struggle to manage this process—supply chain planners were weighed down by over 500 spreadsheets, no transparent process, and an inaccurate forecast. Internal and external partners were involved in the production and manufacturing of parts, and supply chain planners had to manually calculate all the pieces of the process. The problem was, if these calculations and forecasts were inaccurate, customers may not receive their upgrades or replacements on time. DISH’s initial goal with a new supply planning process was to maximize inventory utilization of existing receivers. The supply chain team created a list of 30 technology requirements. At the core of these requirements were five key factors:
- Speedy implementation
- Ability to customize
- Real-time visibility
- Collaborative environment
- Get a great team on board and make sure you have an internal champion to lead the project. If the project is going to affect multiple departments, consider a champion per team or business unit.
- Find quick wins early in the process to spark momentum, excitement, and engagement in the organization and at the executive level.
- Plan, analyze, and optimize. As you build out solutions to solve different problems, analyze the results and adjust as needed.
- Connect with like-minded people to see how they’re making their processes more efficient with the Anaplan platform. The Anaplan Community is a great place to start.
Spreadsheet jockeys to decisions-makers